New Propulsion System for Trucks
Allison Transmissions reveals the fully integrated electric propulsion system for commercial trucks.
Allision Transmission, a global leader in medium- and heavy-duty propulsion solutions for commercial vehicles, introduced the new AXE Series at the Advanced Clean Technology (ACT) Expo. The AXE Series is a powerful e-axle fully integrated electric powertrain system, designed to fit inside a standard frame along the axles of commercial trucks, such as school buses, delivery trucks, and refuse trucks. It features a 2-speed gearbox, oil coolers, pumps, and power electronics.
“The AXE Series is the first e-axle in the heavy-duty truck industry to provide this level of power density, size, and simplicity. We take tremendous pride that our solution is one of the most efficient and powerful systems ever to be developed for commercial trucks,” said David S. Graziosi, Allison Transmission President and CEO.
The Allison AXE Series is the 2019 Automotive News PACE Award finalist and has a one million-mile design life for medium- and heavy-duty trucks. The system also features:
- Two high-speed electric motors;
- Multi-speed transmission;
- A dual-motor axle with continuous power of 536 hp (400 kilowatts) – also available in single motor option;
- A peak output power of 738 hp (550 kilowatts);
- A tandem axle configuration;
- 100% torque in regenerative braking; and
- Superior internal cooling.
The AXE Series acts as a bolt-in solution by design, which ensures efficiency in the installation process.