Axalta Releases Report on Colour Combo Trends
Axalta recently released its 2019 Automotive Colour Trend Report: Colour Combo, focussing on a spectrum of automotive colours that have been developed for the future of automobiles.
Besides presenting colour combinations such as “Comeback Duo” and “Smart Duo”, the report also focusses on the automotive trends and latest innovations that have been emerging worldwide in colour science.
“New colour technologies have allowed us to introduce a spectrum of unique colours and effects that not only capitalize on current trends, but also address the formulations required to meet the needs of tomorrow’s vehicles,” said Nancy Lockhart, Global Product Manager – Colour, Axalta. “This report goes beyond automotive colour popularity to consider the relationship of colours and how colour is influenced by the emerging transportation market of autonomous vehicles, growing customization needs among consumers, and regional preferences.”
On the basis of analyzing the relationship of colour trends, colour formulations, the latest in colour technology and Axalta’s Global Colour Popularity data, the company has prepared the colour combination sets trending in the automotive industry that is showcased in the 2019 Colour Combo report.
The following colour combinations have been presented by Axalta for 2019:
- Smart Duo: Axalta has paired its Optimized Wisdom and Common Sense colours for the “Smart Duo”. According to the company, this combination brings together luxury, style, and practicality in their black colour tones. The duo has been designed to cover the colour spaces suitable for vehicles with LiDAR or Radar technology to detect other vehicles. As explained by Axalta, the selection of colour in this category will depend on factors like autonomous driving and fuel economy since high-tech vehicles will need colour spaces that are suitable for coatings detection and transmission.
- Topnotch Duo: The colours Signature Bliss and Facelift Delight make up the Topnotch Duo containing deep rich reds intended to evoke emotion. The combination has been created by Axalta to target vehicles with new technology that offer premium effects. The company explains that this duo brings together colours that have a global appeal with those that are created to provide a luxurious finish.
- Comeback Duo: For hues in both light and dark versions of sage green, Axalta has paired its Solid Luck and Effect Fortune colours. Designed by Axalta to up the nostalgia factor and address the demand of colours inspired from the past. The hues remind users of vehicles from the 1970s-1990s.
- Contrast Duo: To catch the eyes of the younger generation, Axalta has combined its Dark Horizon and Light Skyline shades of blue. Through this combination of trendy colours, the company intends to cover both eco-concepts and luxury vehicles.
- Power Duo: The teal hues of the combination of Bright Lagoon and Muted Bay for the Power Duo are aimed at appealing to a wide variety of audiences, according to Axalta. The duo contains playful and sporty shades and is created for smaller vehicles.
- Popular Duo: Yellow and beige concepts created by pairing the Individual Sunlight and Traditional Sunrise colours for the Popular Duo are aimed for mass consumer acceptance and mass customization options, explains Axalta. The company states that the combination represents worldwide favourites with high usage rates on cross-vehicle types.